ZAMBOANGA CITY — Police authorities recovered 51 master cases of suspected smuggled cigarettes valued at nearly ₱7.94 million during a coastal anti-smuggling operation at an abandoned warehouse in Seaside, Barangay Baliwasan, Zamboanga City, on August 14, 2026.

The operation was carried out by personnel of the 2nd Zamboanga City Mobile Force Company (2nd ZCMFC) “Seaborne,” in coordination with the Regional Intelligence Division 9 (RID9), Regional Special Operations Unit 9 (RSOU9), and Zamboanga City Police Station 13 (ZCPS 13) in Baliwasan.
According to the Police Regional Office 9 (PRO 9), the joint team proceeded to the area at around 9:07 a.m. after receiving information related to suspected smuggling activity. Upon reaching the coastal area, the personnel discovered an abandoned warehouse containing what appeared to be illegally imported cigarettes.
The recovered items were brought to the headquarters of the 2nd ZCMFC along Roseller T. Lim Boulevard for documentation and inventory, with the participation of the Bureau of Customs (BOC), Port of Zamboanga, and personnel of ZCPS 13.
The inventory conducted in coordination with the BOC confirmed a total of 51 master cases of San Marino Blue cigarettes.
Authorities placed the estimated market value of the recovered cigarettes at ₱7,943,559.20.
The police said the recovered cigarettes were subsequently turned over to the Bureau of Customs, Port of Zamboanga, for proper custody and disposition in accordance with existing laws, rules and regulations.
No suspect or individual responsible for storing the cigarettes was identified in the information released by PRO 9.
The operation was led by Police Lieutenant Colonel Joel A. Senogat Jr., force commander of the 2nd ZCMFC “Seaborne.” It forms part of the continuing efforts of police and other government agencies to curb the movement and storage of suspected smuggled goods through Zamboanga City’s coastal areas.
The recovery also underscores the role of inter-agency coordination in addressing maritime-related smuggling activities, particularly in a city that serves as a major gateway for the movement of goods in western Mindanao.
Police Brigadier General Dennis A. Esguerra, acting regional director of PRO 9, said the police regional office would continue intensifying operations against smuggling and other illegal activities across the region.
PRO 9 said its units, together with partner agencies such as the Bureau of Customs, will sustain monitoring and enforcement operations aimed at preventing the entry, storage and distribution of suspected smuggled commodities.
The recovered cigarettes remain under the custody of the BOC for appropriate proceedings and disposition under applicable customs laws and regulations.
Authorities did not provide further details on the origin of the cigarettes, their intended recipient, or how long the items had been stored at the abandoned warehouse.