AMPATUAN, Maguindanao del Sur — Police authorities have arrested a man identified as the Top 7 Most Wanted Person at the regional level of Police Regional Office 12 (PRO 12) in connection with the deadly ambush that claimed the lives of two Regional Mobile Force Battalion 12 (RMFB-12) personnel in Lambayong, Sultan Kudarat, on July 7, 2026.

The arrest was carried out at Barangay Poblacion, Ampatuan, Maguindanao del Sur, in an operation involving personnel of the 1st Platoon of the Provincial Mobile Force Company (PMFC), led by Police Major Joel S. Lebrilla, Platoon Leader, under the leadership of Police Lieutenant Colonel Erwin G. Tabora, Force Commander.
The operation was conducted by the Maguindanao del Sur Police Provincial Office (MDSPPO) through its Provincial Intelligence Unit, Provincial Mobile Force Company, and Ampatuan Municipal Police Station, under the supervision of Police Colonel Michael John C. Mangahis, Provincial Director of MDSPPO.
Authorities said the arrested individual is the subject of Warrants of Arrest for Murder issued by the Regional Trial Court Branch 20 in Tacurong City, Sultan Kudarat, under Criminal Case Nos. 26-9288-LA and 26-9289-LA.
Police identified him as one of the accused in the July 7 ambush of two RMFB-12 personnel in Barangay Tinumiguis, Lambayong, Sultan Kudarat.
The development marks a significant breakthrough in the investigation into the attack, which killed Patrolman Apollo Morante Pagurayan and Patrolman Joerel Basilan Bullos, 32, both assigned to the 1202nd Maneuver Company of RMFB-12.
Deadly ambush in Lambayong
The two policemen were killed at around 6:45 p.m. on July 7 while traveling toward their assigned Border Control Point in Barangay Tinumiguis.
Based on the latest police account, Pagurayan and Bullos had departed from their detachment in Barangay New Cebu and were traveling on separate motorcycles along the National Highway when armed assailants suddenly opened fire.
Initial investigation indicated that the attackers used a firearm believed to be an M16 rifle, with the sustained gunfire fatally striking both police officers.
Earlier field reports had indicated that the two officers were riding on a single motorcycle, but subsequent investigation established that they were traveling separately toward their duty post when the attack occurred.
The ambush immediately triggered a large-scale police response, including the securing of the crime scene, forensic examination and hot-pursuit operations aimed at identifying and locating those responsible.
Investigators also worked to recover physical evidence, including spent ammunition casings, to help establish the circumstances of the attack and determine the firearms used.
Arrest provides major breakthrough
The arrest of the accused represents a major development in the case and demonstrates the continuing efforts of law enforcement authorities to pursue individuals wanted in connection with attacks against police personnel.
As a regional-level Top 7 Most Wanted Person, the suspect had been the subject of intensified law enforcement efforts. His arrest now places him under police custody for the appropriate legal proceedings in connection with the murder charges filed against him.
Authorities, however, will still need to establish the full extent of his alleged involvement in the ambush through the judicial process.
The police operation also underscores the importance of intelligence gathering and coordination among different units in tracking down wanted persons, particularly those accused in serious crimes involving the deaths of law enforcement personnel.
The MDSPPO said the successful operation reflects the Philippine National Police’s continuing commitment to pursuing justice, enforcing the rule of law and protecting communities.
The July 7 killings had underscored the risks faced by police officers assigned to frontline security and border-control duties in parts of Mindanao. The latest arrest provides authorities with an important step forward in the effort to hold those allegedly responsible for the deadly attack accountable.
The accused will face the appropriate legal proceedings in connection with the two murder cases filed before the Regional Trial Court in Tacurong City.