CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY, Philippines — Authorities struck a major blow against the illegal drug trade after seizing an estimated P20.4 million worth of suspected shabu in a pre-dawn buy-bust operation in Barangay Lapasan on Thursday, March 19, 2026—an operation that led to the arrest of two men, including a criminology graduate now facing serious drug charges.

Operatives from the Regional Police Drug Enforcement Unit (RPDEU) Team 2 carried out the sting at around 1:00 a.m. in Sitio Lambago, catching the primary target, identified only as alias “Bossing Inano,” 23, in possession of large volumes of suspected methamphetamine hydrochloride.

Seized from Inano were around three kilograms of suspected shabu, including 30 large heat-sealed packages, along with six smaller sachets reportedly sold to an undercover operative for P1,000 buy-bust money.

Police said the haul represents one of the more significant drug seizures in the city in recent months, underscoring the continuing flow of high-value narcotics into urban communities.

Criminology graduate caught in the web

Also arrested was alias “France,” 25, a criminology graduate working as a delivery rider, who allegedly transported the suspect to the area. Authorities said the rider claimed he was unaware that his passenger was carrying illegal drugs.

Despite his denial, police placed him under custody, stressing that his involvement in transporting the suspect during the operation warranted further investigation. His motorcycle was also impounded.

“Ordered from jail”

In a startling revelation, Inano reportedly told authorities that he was merely acting on orders from his uncle currently detained at the Cagayan de Oro City Jail in Lumbia. According to the suspect, he had been instructed to retrieve the illegal shipment from the Westbound Terminal in Barangay Bulua earlier that night.

The claim is now being verified, raising concerns over the possible continued orchestration of drug operations from inside detention facilities.

Facing serious charges

Both suspects are now detained at the Maharlika Detention Cell in Barangay Carmen and are set to face charges for violating Republic Act 9165, or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002.

Authorities emphasized that the operation reflects intensified anti-drug efforts and warned that those involved in the drug trade—regardless of background or profession—will be held accountable.

The case also highlights a troubling reality: even individuals with formal education in law enforcement are not immune to being entangled in the illegal drug network, whether knowingly or not.

Investigations are ongoing to identify other individuals linked to the seized narcotics, including the alleged jailed mastermind behind the operation.

PAGE TOP