Two people were killed while another survived after unidentified gunmen opened fire on passengers riding a tricycle along Buaya Road in Barangay Magugpo East, near the City Hall area in Tagum City on Wednesday afternoon, May 20, 2026.

The brazen shooting incident sent panic among residents and motorists in the area after several gunshots rang out while the victims were traveling aboard a tricycle along the busy road.
Initial police reports said the victims were suddenly attacked by armed suspects riding a black motorcycle who allegedly tailed the tricycle before opening fire at close range.
Authorities identified the fatalities as Ronnie Tampos Tapang, 27, and a 33-year-old woman identified only by her alias “Analyn.” Another victim, identified as Ronel Tampos Tapang, 33, the older brother of Ronnie, survived the attack and is currently undergoing treatment at a hospital.
According to the Tagum City Police Station, six passengers were reportedly aboard the tricycle during the incident — three men and three women. Several passengers managed to flee amid the gunfire, while investigators believe one of the female passengers may have merely been caught in the crossfire.
Police immediately cordoned off the area and launched a follow-up investigation to determine the motive behind the attack and identify the perpetrators.
PLtCol. Edgardo Bahan, chief of police of the Tagum City Police Station, disclosed that authorities already have a person of interest (POI) linked to the shooting. However, investigators refused to reveal the identity of the POI to avoid compromising the ongoing investigation.
Based on the testimony of the surviving victim, police are looking into the possibility that the attack may be connected to the victims’ previous involvement in a reported electrical wire theft case in Barangay Canocotan several days earlier.
Investigators confirmed that two of the shooting victims had previously been arrested in relation to the alleged theft of electrical wires and had undergone the process of posting bail prior to their release from police custody. Authorities said the victims were reportedly on their way home when they were ambushed.
Crime scene investigators recovered evidence indicating that the suspects may have used a .45 caliber pistol during the attack.
Police are now conducting deeper investigations to establish the full motive behind the killing, identify all individuals involved, and ensure justice for the victims.
The incident adds to growing concerns over gun-related violence in the city, particularly attacks believed to be linked to personal grudges and retaliatory crimes. Authorities have urged witnesses and residents with relevant information to coordinate with police to help speed up the resolution of the case.