BAGUMBAYAN, Sultan Kudarat — Authorities seized sacks of explosive materials and arrested a Chinese national along with three Filipino suspects following a series of operations against illegal mining activities in Sitio Macao, Barangay Bai Saripinang, Bagumbayan, on February 19–20, 2026.

According to police and environmental authorities, the operations were conducted in coordination with multiple government agencies to enforce environmental laws and prevent the illegal possession and use of explosives in mining operations.

The first operation was carried out at around 10:30 a.m. on February 19, when a Cease and Desist Order was implemented against individuals involved in illegal mining in a mountainous area approximately 50 kilometers from the town proper. The enforcement team was led by the Provincial Environment and Natural Resources Office and the Mines and Geosciences Bureau of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources Region 12, with support from the National Bureau of Investigation Region 12, the Alpha Company of the 37th Infantry Battalion, the Sultan Kudarat Police Mobile Force Company, and the Bagumbayan Municipal Police Station.

During the operation, authorities caught five men allegedly engaged in illegal mining activities. They were identified by their aliases as “Ralf,” “Archie,” “Marwin,” and “Darwin,” along with a Chinese national identified as Liu Shuling, a resident of Hubei, China. Various mining equipment was also confiscated at the site and later turned over to environmental authorities for proper disposition.

The arrested individuals were brought to the Bagumbayan Municipal Police Station while authorities prepared charges related to illegal mining and other violations.

A separate operation was conducted the following day, February 20, at around 6:00 p.m., when authorities served Search Warrant No. 2026-07 for violation of Republic Act No. 9516, issued by the Regional Trial Court Branch 20 in Tacurong City.

The search, led by the Bagumbayan Police with support from the Sultan Kudarat Provincial Explosive Canine Unit and the 37th Infantry Battalion, targeted a location linked to a suspect identified as alias “Nene,” who remains at large.

Although no suspects were found at the site during the search, authorities discovered and confiscated a large cache of explosive materials believed to be intended for mining use. Among those recovered were twelve sacks of Ammonium Nitrate Fuel Oil (ANFO) weighing about 25 kilograms each, 54 non-electric blasting caps, and a roll of commercial safety fuse estimated to be around 750 meters long.

Police said the recovered explosives were immediately turned over to the Sultan Kudarat Provincial Explosive Canine Unit for proper handling and disposition.

Further investigation by a local news team revealed that the explosive materials were reportedly owned by a mining firm operating in the area. However, authorities said the firm’s permit had already expired in December 2024, raising concerns that mining operations continued despite the lapse of its license.

Later that evening, authorities also raided a mining site reportedly operated under ABN Nature Ore Mining within the same area, where illegal explosive materials were again discovered. The operation resulted in the arrest of Liu Shuling and three Filipino suspects. Seized inside the compound were 12 sacks of ammonium nitrate, 54 blasting caps, and a commercial safety fuse used in blasting operations.

Authorities are now preparing charges for violation of Republic Act No. 9516, or the Illegal Possession of Explosives law, against the arrested individuals, while the search continues for alias “Nene,” who is believed to be connected to the stockpile of explosives recovered during the search warrant operation.

Officials said the back-to-back operations highlight the government’s intensified crackdown on illegal mining and the unauthorized use of explosive materials in remote areas of Sultan Kudarat.

Authorities also warned that unregulated mining operations and the improper storage of explosives pose serious risks to nearby communities and the environment. Operations against illegal mining and related activities in the area are expected to continue in the coming weeks.

PAGE TOP