OPOL, MISAMIS ORIENTAL — A 28-year-old man who had recently been released from jail for alleged involvement in illegal drugs was shot dead by an unidentified motorcycle-riding assailant along the Diversion Road in Zone 2B, Barangay Igpit, Opol, on Wednesday evening, December 3, 2025.
The victim was identified as Jomarie Patrick Rabanes, a laborer and resident of the same barangay. Initial reports from the Opol Municipal Police Station (MPS) indicate that the shooting occurred at around 6:08 p.m., when a red-helmeted gunman wearing a t-shirt and jacket abruptly approached Rabanes and fired multiple shots before fleeing toward the Bulua Terminal direction.
According to the victim’s sibling, they heard three gunshots outside their residence. When they rushed out, they were shocked to find Rabanes already sprawled on the ground, bloodied and unresponsive. The sibling said Rabanes had just been newly released from detention and was looking for work. They also clarified that the victim had a recent altercation with someone in the community but had already apologized prior to the incident.
A cousin who witnessed the attack confirmed that Rabanes managed to call for help moments after being shot, but he collapsed before assistance arrived. Responding personnel led by PMaj. Teodoro P. De Oro, Opol police chief, found Rabanes lying on the pavement with multiple gunshot wounds. Health personnel from RHU Opol, led by Dr. Emily Grace Banal and represented by responder Lanny Reyalista, later declared him dead on the spot.
Investigators recovered three empty shells of still-unidentified caliber near the victim’s body.
Rabanes’ mother appealed to the suspect, saying she hopes whoever killed her son will not find peace after taking his life. Meanwhile, PMaj. De Oro said the police are looking into several possible motives, noting the victim’s recently concluded jail term and previous involvement in disturbances in the area.
The Opol MPS has launched a manhunt for the suspect and is calling on the public to provide any information that could aid the ongoing investigation.
Authorities urge anyone who witnessed suspicious activity or saw the fleeing motorcycle to coordinate with Opol police through their hotline.