CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY — Police authorities arrested a 25-year-old man identified as a High-Value Individual (HVI) in the illegal drug trade and seized approximately ₱408,000 worth of suspected shabu during the implementation of a search warrant in Habitat, Calaanan, Barangay Canitoan, Cagayan de Oro City, on August 18, 2026.

The operation was carried out at around 3:15 p.m. by personnel of the City Drug Enforcement Unit (CDEU) of the Cagayan de Oro City Police Office (COCPO), in coordination with personnel of the City Mobile Force Company.

The police operation was conducted pursuant to a search warrant issued by the Regional Trial Court Branch 17 in connection with an alleged violation of Republic Act No. 9165, or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002.

Arrested during the operation was alias “Xander,” 25, single, and a resident of the area. Police identified him as a High-Value Individual allegedly involved in the illegal drug trade.

60 Grams of Suspected Shabu Seized

Authorities reported recovering nine heat-sealed transparent plastic sachets containing a white crystalline substance believed to be shabu.

The confiscated items consisted of six small sachets and three large sachets, with a combined estimated weight of 60 grams and an estimated Standard Drug Price of ₱408,000.

Police also seized one digital weighing scale and one black pouch, which were taken as part of the evidence during the implementation of the search warrant.

The seized substances will undergo the required laboratory examination to determine their actual composition, while all confiscated evidence will be processed and disposed of in accordance with established procedures.

Police Probe Suspect’s Alleged Drug Activities

Initial investigation indicated that the suspect was allegedly a first-time offender. Authorities also learned that he had previously worked as a trucker but had reportedly been without permanent employment.

Police said the suspect allegedly turned to the illegal drug trade as his primary source of income amid his lack of stable employment.

Authorities are continuing their investigation into the suspect’s alleged activities, including his possible connections with other individuals involved in the illegal drug trade.

Police are expected to establish the source of the suspected shabu and determine whether the arrested individual was operating independently or was connected to a wider drug network.

Case Under Preparation

The suspect remains under the custody of the CDEU-COCPO for documentation and proper disposition.

Police authorities are preparing a case for alleged violation of Section 11 of Republic Act No. 9165, which covers the unlawful possession of dangerous drugs, for filing before the appropriate authorities.

The confiscated suspected illegal drugs will be subjected to laboratory examination and other required procedures as part of the evidence-gathering process.

The arrest underscores the continuing police campaign against the illegal drug trade in Cagayan de Oro City, particularly against individuals identified by authorities as high-value targets.

Police Regional Office 10 Regional Director PBGEN Christopher N. Abrahano commended the operating units for the successful implementation of the search warrant and reaffirmed the police organization’s commitment to intensifying its campaign against illegal drugs.

Authorities said the operation forms part of continuing law-enforcement efforts to disrupt the distribution and supply of illegal drugs in Northern Mindanao and hold those involved accountable under existing laws.

Back to top