DIPOLOG CITY, Zamboanga del Norte — Three members of the Narvaez family, including an elderly couple and their adopted son, were found dead inside their home in Purok Duranta, Barangay Turno, Dipolog City, at around 1 p.m. Thursday, August 20, 2026.

The fatalities were identified as Eliza Narvaez, 77; her husband, Lodevico Narvaez, 82; and their adopted son, Noel Narvaez, 38.

Police said the bodies had already begun to emit a foul odor when they were discovered, indicating that the three may have been dead for some time before they were found.

Dipolog City Police Chief Lt. Col. Kishna Asaali said initial examination showed that the elderly couple sustained wounds to the back of their heads, while Noel also suffered a head injury.

Investigators recovered what they believe was the weapon used in the killings—a kaguran, or a manually operated coconut grater. Police said the same implement was allegedly used to inflict the fatal injuries on all three victims.

Authorities are also examining the circumstances inside the house. Initial findings showed no apparent signs of forced entry, raising questions about how the assailant or assailants may have entered the residence.

Police are looking into reports from neighbors who allegedly heard or witnessed arguments involving members of the household prior to the incident. Investigators are verifying these accounts as they work to establish what happened before the three were killed.

Robbery Also Being Investigated

Aside from the possibility of a family-related dispute, police are also investigating a possible robbery motive.

According to the initial police information, Eliza had withdrawn ₱50,000 on July 22, an amount investigators are now checking in connection with the case.

Police are also looking into information that Noel allegedly went to a 7-Eleven store after an argument two nights before the bodies were discovered and gave money to some of his friends before returning home. Investigators are verifying the circumstances surrounding the reported transaction and whether it has any connection to the killings.

Police have yet to establish whether money or other valuables were actually taken from the residence, and authorities stressed that the robbery angle remains part of the ongoing investigation.

The discovery of the bodies came only after the foul odor from the house reportedly raised concern, prompting people in the area to become aware that something was wrong.

Investigators are now working to establish the exact time of death, determine the sequence of events and identify the person or persons responsible for the deaths.

Authorities have not yet publicly named a suspect, and no definitive motive has been established.

Police are expected to examine the crime scene, gather forensic evidence and interview neighbors and other individuals who may have had contact with the victims before their deaths.

The case remains under investigation, with authorities urging anyone with relevant information to coordinate with the Dipolog City Police Station.

This is a developing story. Further details will be reported as authorities release verified information.

Back to top