Abdulraof Macacua has ordered Mohagher Iqbal to step down as head of the Ministry of Basic, Higher and Technical Education (MBHTE) amid explosive findings from a special audit conducted by the Commission on Audit (COA), involving alleged irregularities amounting to more than P2.247 billion.

The directive, contained in a formal letter dated May 11, 2026, escalates what is now emerging as one of the biggest corruption controversies to hit the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao since its creation.

Macacua, also known as “Sammy Gambar,” gave Iqbal until the close of office hours on Monday, May 18, to submit his irrevocable resignation. The Chief Minister warned that failure to comply would result in Iqbal being “deemed resigned,” effectively removing him from office automatically.

The order came after the Office of the Chief Minister received the findings of a COA Special Audit Team that examined transactions and procurement activities within MBHTE.

According to the audit findings cited in Macacua’s letter, the total amount under question reached P2,247,023,709.80.

Massive Procurement Irregularities Alleged

Among the most serious findings cited by the COA Special Audit Team was the alleged awarding of 53 procurement contracts worth P1.95 billion despite what auditors described as “material defects” in the bidding and procurement process.

The audit reportedly found that MBHTE’s Bids and Awards Committee accepted bids that improperly identified joint venture partners, resulting in contracts being awarded to only one partner instead of legally constituted joint venture entities.

Auditors warned that such irregularities could weaken the government’s ability to enforce accountability and liability in the event of contractual violations.

The COA also flagged the late submission of required performance securities by winning bidders for 53 procurement projects amounting to nearly P2 billion, allegedly violating provisions of Republic Act No. 9184, or the Government Procurement Reform Act.

In one case specifically mentioned in the findings, the audit team said the Bids and Awards Committee failed to disqualify CNX Mini Mart despite its failure to submit required performance securities within the prescribed period for a logistics procurement project tied to the 2024 Education Summit.

The special audit further alleged that procurement contracts were awarded despite supposed “misrepresentation” in Omnibus Sworn Statements submitted by bidders — a violation that auditors said should have led to disqualification.

Another major issue raised in the report involved 73 disbursement vouchers covering procurement transactions amounting to the entire P2.247 billion questioned by auditors.

According to the findings, these transactions were processed and fully paid despite the alleged absence of several required procurement documents mandated under government auditing and procurement laws.

The COA has reportedly already issued initial notices of disallowance against some of the transactions, with more notices expected to follow.

Macacua: Public Trust in BARMM “Seriously Eroded”

In his letter, Macacua stressed that the scale and gravity of the findings threaten the integrity of governance in the Bangsamoro region.

“The gains of good and moral governance enunciated by the former Chief Minister and which we are currently pursuing are in serious jeopardy,” Macacua wrote.

He added that public trust in BARMM had been “seriously eroded.”

The move is widely seen as a major political test for the regional government, particularly as BARMM leaders continue to promote reforms, transparency, and institutional stability under the peace process framework established through the Comprehensive Agreement on the Bangsamoro (CAB).

Iqbal Refuses to Resign, Cites Due Process

In a strongly worded response dated May 16, Iqbal rejected the demand for his resignation and insisted that the audit findings remain preliminary.

Iqbal argued that no criminal case or formal charge has been filed against him and maintained that MBHTE has been fully cooperating with COA auditors.

“I respectfully decline to resign at this time,” Iqbal wrote.

He warned that resigning in the middle of an ongoing audit could be interpreted as an admission of guilt or abandonment of duty.

The veteran Moro leader also questioned the process undertaken by the Chief Minister, saying he was not first afforded the opportunity to explain or respond before the resignation demand was issued.

“With respect, the letter appears to have been issued without first affording an opportunity for explanation or response,” Iqbal stated.

He stressed that moral governance must also uphold fairness and the presumption of innocence.

Iqbal further said he would continue performing his duties unless formally removed through lawful procedures.

“I remain Minister of Basic, Higher and Technical Education. I will execute my duties faithfully until you remove me by proper authority,” he declared.

The MBHTE chief likewise described himself as the target of sustained public attacks aimed at damaging his reputation but vowed to confront the investigation openly and defend his name.

“As public servants and brothers in the struggle, the only lasting legacy that we could leave for our children and descendants is a good name,” Iqbal wrote.

Political Tension Builds Ahead of Planned Rallies

The controversy has triggered growing political tension in Cotabato City and across the Bangsamoro region.

An “Emergency Rally” announcement circulating online called on members of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front, the Bangsamoro Islamic Armed Forces (BIAF), and supporters to gather Monday at the ORC Compound.

Organizers invited participants with private vehicles to join what they described as a mobilization for unity and shared advocacy.

At the same time, organizers of the broader Recover BARMM Movement (RBM) clarified that their planned peace rally outside the Bangsamoro Government Center main gate on May 18 is focused on calling for the full implementation of the Comprehensive Agreement on the Bangsamoro and is “not related” to the corruption allegations hounding MBHTE.

RBM organizers emphasized that their activity is intended to support peace initiatives and the fulfillment of Bangsamoro agreements rather than defend or oppose any individual official implicated in the controversy.

Despite those clarifications, the simultaneous calls for mobilization underscore the growing political sensitivity of the issue, particularly given the personalities involved and their long history within the Moro revolutionary movement.

As of Sunday evening, no final announcement had yet been issued by the Office of the Chief Minister regarding whether Iqbal would be formally removed from office if he refuses to resign by Monday’s deadline.

PAGE TOP