LAGONGLOG, Misamis Oriental — Government troops ensured the respectful and orderly return of the remains of a slain New People’s Army (NPA) leader to his family, underscoring the military’s commitment to humanitarian principles even amid ongoing counterinsurgency operations in Northern Mindanao.



On February 18, 2026, the 8th Infantry Battalion facilitated the dignified turnover of the remains of Bonifacio Lutawan, also known by the aliases “Tado” and “Budo,” to his relatives in Barangay Umagos, Lagonglong, Lagonglong. The activity was conducted in close coordination with the local government unit and other concerned agencies to ensure that all legal and humanitarian procedures were properly followed.
Military officials said the process was carried out with professionalism, sensitivity, and respect for the cultural and family considerations of the bereaved. The battalion emphasized that the handling of Lutawan’s remains adhered to established military protocols and international humanitarian standards.
The turnover came days after Lutawan, identified by authorities as a senior official of the Regional Operational Command under the North Central Mindanao Regional Committee, was killed in a clash with government forces on February 15 in Sitio Tacocon, Barangay Kasapa II, La Paz, La Paz, Agusan del Sur.
According to Lieutenant Colonel Jeorge Jallorina, commander of the 8th Infantry “Dependable” Battalion of the Philippine Army, the encounter stemmed from intelligence-driven operations targeting high-value members of the NPA operating near the boundary of Bukidnon and Agusan del Sur.
“The encounter was the result of sustained monitoring and focused operations against high-value targets,” Jallorina said in a statement. “Alias ‘Tado’ had long been under surveillance and was among our top priorities for neutralization.”
Military reports indicated that troops encountered armed members of the North Central Mindanao Regional Committee in remote terrain frequently used as a transit route by insurgents. Government forces engaged the rebels in two successive encounters, eventually resulting in Lutawan’s death and the recovery of an M653 rifle from the scene.
Following the clash, soldiers secured the area and ensured that the remains were properly processed. Authorities transported the body to a hospital before transferring it to a funeral home, where coordination efforts began to inform and assist the family. The 403rd Infantry Brigade worked with the Philippine National Police, local government units, and other agencies to facilitate the claiming of the remains and provide burial assistance.
Relatives of Lutawan later arrived to receive the body and begin funeral preparations. Military officials extended condolences to the family despite the circumstances surrounding his death.
Authorities noted that Lutawan had been linked to several serious crimes and acts of violence attributed to the insurgent movement. Nonetheless, the military emphasized that his remains were handled with dignity, reflecting the armed forces’ policy of respecting human rights and upholding the rule of law.
In a renewed appeal, the battalion urged remaining members of the communist armed groups under the North Central Mindanao Regional Committee to abandon armed struggle and return to their families.
“We continue to encourage the remnants of the communist terrorist group to lay down their arms and surrender to the folds of the law,” the battalion said in its statement. “Choose a peaceful life with your families. We remain open and willing to assist those who decide to return to society.”
However, the military also warned that it will continue operations within the bounds of the law to dismantle remaining insurgent units if they refuse to surrender.
Officials reiterated that government forces remain committed to restoring lasting peace and security in Northern Mindanao while ensuring that all operations are conducted with discipline, respect for human rights, and the protection of civilian communities.