KIDAPAWAN CITY, Cotabato — A young man’s dream of entering college and building a better future for his family was violently cut short after he allegedly suffered a brutal group assault before meeting a tragic death while trying to escape his attackers on Sunday night.

Now, grief-stricken relatives and friends of 20-year-old Christian Jake Limasa Lebrillo of Chapter, Poblacion, Magpet are crying out for justice as disturbing details continue to emerge surrounding the incident that has sparked outrage on social media and among residents in Kidapawan City.

According to the victim’s family, Lebrillo was allegedly mauled by a group of around nine individuals outside a drinking establishment in the city. Witnesses and circulating videos reportedly showed the victim being surrounded and repeatedly attacked by several men, leaving him with little to no chance to defend himself.

Initial information indicated that the victim was even struck in the face with a bottle, causing visible injuries and severe wounds.

What has further fueled public anger, however, were allegations that the suspects were not content with merely beating the victim. According to witnesses and close friends, the group allegedly chased Lebrillo as he desperately attempted to flee.

Reports said the wounded victim tried to escape and head home to Magpet but later figured in an accident in Barangay Mateo while allegedly being pursued by the same group. Authorities are now looking into whether the injuries he sustained during the beating and the subsequent accident both contributed to his death.

When responders found the victim, he was immediately rushed to a hospital, but doctors declared him dead on arrival.

Based on an initial spot report, the assault was allegedly led by a certain alias “Mack2,” a resident of Barangay Ilomavis, Kidapawan City. Investigators are still verifying the identities of the other individuals allegedly involved in the attack.

Authorities have yet to establish what triggered the confrontation that escalated into deadly violence.

The incident has devastated Lebrillo’s family, especially his mother and aunts, who said the young man had already enrolled for college and was eagerly preparing to begin a new chapter in his life.

Instead of attending classes and pursuing his ambitions, the family is now preparing for his burial.

“He was excited to study and fulfill his dreams,” one relative lamented, saying the victim hoped to finish school and help uplift his family from hardship.

The tragedy has ignited widespread calls for accountability, with netizens condemning the alleged “one-versus-nine” assault and demanding swift action from authorities against those responsible.

The victim’s family has also appealed directly to Kidapawan City Mayor Atty. Jose Paolo Evangelista for help in identifying and arresting the suspects, especially those allegedly captured in viral videos during the incident.

Mayor Evangelista has since confirmed that he already ordered authorities to expedite the investigation and ensure that the case will be thoroughly probed.

Meanwhile, police have yet to release an official statement regarding the identities of the suspects and the possible criminal charges that may be filed against them.

As the investigation continues, the family is urging witnesses and individuals with video footage or information about the incident to cooperate with authorities to help deliver justice for Christian Jake Limasa Lebrillo — a young man whose life, dreams, and future were allegedly destroyed in a single night of violence.

PAGE TOP