MISAMIS ORIENTAL — Two police trainees have been arrested following a reported alleged violation of Republic Act No. 8353, or the Anti-Rape Law of 1997, involving their 25-year-old female classmate at a resort in Jasaan, Misamis Oriental, on August 14, 2026.

The two suspects, aged 27 and 28, were identified by authorities as fellow police trainees of the complainant. Police have not publicly released their names, in keeping with the ongoing investigation and the rights and privacy of the parties involved.

According to information gathered in connection with the case, the three were among police trainees undergoing the Field Training Program (FTP), a training requirement for police applicants before they can complete the process toward becoming members of the Philippine National Police.

The trainees were reportedly undergoing their field training under the supervision of the Cagayan de Oro City Police Office.

Initial information indicated that a group of police trainees participated in a team-building activity at a beach or spring resort in Jasaan on Friday, August 14. The alleged incident involving the female trainee was reported to have occurred at the resort later that evening.

The complainant reportedly alleged that she was sexually assaulted by the two male trainees.

Authorities are still investigating the circumstances surrounding the reported incident, including the events leading up to the alleged assault and the activities of the trainees at the resort.

There have also been allegations that the complainant may have been given alcoholic drinks before the incident. However, this remains part of the investigation and has not been independently established by authorities as fact.

The Misamis Oriental Police Provincial Office (MORPPO) said it immediately acted after receiving information about the alleged incident. The two police trainees were arrested and placed under police custody.

MORPPO said investigators conducted the necessary investigative and medical procedures in accordance with established protocols. The suspects are set to undergo inquest proceedings before the appropriate prosecutor for the legal disposition of the case.

Provincial Director PCOL Al M. Abanales said the police organization would handle the case impartially and in accordance with due process.

“From the moment the incident was reported, we immediately take appropriate actions,” Abanales said, adding that the two trainees were arrested and that a thorough investigation had been conducted.

He assured the public that MORPPO would not shield anyone from accountability regardless of status or affiliation.

“Appropriate actions will be pursued based on the evidence, findings of the investigation, and applicable laws, rules, and procedures,” Abanales said.

The provincial police office also urged the public to avoid speculation, premature judgment and the circulation of unverified information that could compromise the investigation or violate the privacy and dignity of those involved.

Suspects invoke right to counsel

The two arrested trainees have declined to discuss the allegations publicly.

When approached regarding the reported incident, the suspects reportedly told members of the media, “Talk to my lawyer.”

They subsequently declined further interviews.

Police Captain Jerome Capagngan also clarified that the two suspects were not receiving special treatment while in custody. They were reportedly being held under regular detention procedures at the Jasaan Municipal Police Station.

The suspects are presumed innocent unless proven guilty in court.

Questions raised over the training activity

The incident has also raised questions about the circumstances under which the police trainees were allowed to participate in an off-site team-building activity while undergoing the Field Training Program.

Initial information indicated that around 38 police trainees participated in the activity at a resort in Jasaan.

Reports circulating about the case also raised questions about whether the activity was part of the approved FTP design, whether proper authorization was secured, and whether the trainees were under the supervision or permission of their Field Training Officer at the time.

These matters, however, have yet to be conclusively established.

The trainees were reportedly based in Cagayan de Oro City for their field training. Information obtained in connection with the program indicated that trainees generally report to the Regional Special Training Unit (RSTU) on Friday afternoons and return to their respective assigned areas on Monday.

It remains unclear whether the trainees were officially authorized to travel to the resort for the reported team-building activity, and whether the activity complied with the rules and supervision requirements of the FTP.

Authorities have yet to publicly provide a complete account of the training arrangements surrounding the activity.

Investigation continues

The case remains under investigation as authorities work to establish what happened before, during and after the reported incident.

Investigators are expected to examine the statements of the complainant and the suspects, medical findings, available physical or documentary evidence, and accounts from other trainees or individuals who may have been present at the resort.

The circumstances surrounding the alleged consumption of alcoholic beverages, if established, may also form part of the investigation.

MORPPO said it remains committed to accountability, impartial law enforcement and the rule of law while protecting the rights and welfare of all parties.

The case is now expected to proceed through the appropriate legal process, where prosecutors will determine the proper action based on the evidence presented.

The allegations against the two police trainees remain allegations at this stage, and their guilt or innocence will ultimately be determined through due process and the courts.

Back to top