ILIGAN CITY — The vice mayor of Marantao, Lanao del Sur, who was among Northern Mindanao’s most wanted persons, was arrested Friday night in Iligan City over separate murder and frustrated murder cases linked to the February shooting of two women in Initao, Misamis Oriental, an attack that killed a 31-year-old solo parent and left another woman seriously wounded.

The Philippine National Police (PNP) identified the arrested official as Vice Mayor Eli Eskandar Unte Alonto III, also known as “Bimmy Alonto,” 36, married and a government employee.

Alonto was arrested at about 8:45 p.m. on August 21, 2026, inside Crystal Inn in Barangay San Miguel, Iligan City, following a focused operation by PNP tracker and intelligence personnel.

At the time of his arrest, Alonto was ranked No. 4 on the Police Regional Office 10 (PRO-10) Regional List of Most Wanted Persons, No. 3 on the Lanao del Sur provincial list, and No. 1 on the municipal wanted list of Marantao.

The operation was conducted by the Iligan City Mobile Force Company (ICMFC) Tracker Team, in coordination with tracker teams and personnel from various PNP intelligence, regional, mobile force, investigation and police station units.

Police said the coordinated effort enabled authorities to locate and arrest the wanted vice mayor and place him under lawful custody.

Arrest stems from February killing in Initao

Alonto’s arrest brings a major development to a case that began with the February 16 shooting of two women in Barangay Tubigan, Initao, Misamis Oriental.

The attack claimed the life of 31-year-old Jovy Reyna Lubcubán Esquillo, also known as “Jai Jai,” a solo parent and small business owner from Aplaya, Jasaan.

Her companion survived after sustaining a gunshot wound to the neck and later became a crucial witness in the investigation.

Police previously reported that Esquillo’s body was discovered before dawn in a secluded grassy area of Sitio Bunutan, Barangay Tubigan.

She had suffered a fatal gunshot wound to the head.

Scene of the Crime Operatives recovered two fired cartridge cases from the area as investigators worked to establish how the victims ended up in the remote location and identify those responsible for the attack.

Survivor allegedly identified politician as gunman

A key breakthrough came when the surviving victim reportedly positively identified Alonto as the alleged gunman, according to police.

Despite her injuries, the woman managed to flee from the area and flag down a passing vehicle. She eventually reached a police checkpoint in Libertad, where officers assisted her and arranged for her transport to a hospital.

Her identification became a significant piece of evidence in the filing of the criminal cases against the politician and an alleged companion.

Police previously said the suspected motive was personal, although authorities did not publicly disclose further details about the alleged dispute or the circumstances surrounding the attack.

The survivor’s identity has been withheld by authorities for security reasons as she remains an important witness in the case.

Women reportedly taken to isolated area

Investigators also traced the movements of the two women before the shooting.

Police said the victims were last seen at around 5 p.m. on February 15, when they reportedly boarded a waiting sport utility vehicle along the national highway in Aplaya, Jasaan.

Later that evening, Esquillo reportedly sent a video message to a relative showing herself and her companion inside a hotel room.

Investigators believe the women were subsequently transported to Barangay Tubigan in Initao, where the shooting occurred before dawn the following day.

The sequence of events and the circumstances surrounding the alleged involvement of the accused will now be examined through the judicial proceedings.

Charges filed, warrants issued

The PNP said Alonto is facing two separate cases before the Regional Trial Court Branch 44 in Initao, Misamis Oriental, presided over by Judge Jamel Tabao Mamutik.

One is a murder case for which no bail is recommended, while the separate frustrated murder case carries a ₱200,000 bail.

The warrants of arrest were issued on July 15, 2026.

The issuance of the warrants allowed police to formally launch and intensify efforts to locate the vice mayor, who subsequently appeared on multiple wanted-person lists.

His arrest on Friday night came more than six months after the deadly shooting.

From elected official to wanted person

The case drew heightened attention because Alonto remained a sitting elected official while facing criminal charges arising from a violent incident outside his home province.

He was elected vice mayor of Marantao during the 2025 midterm elections, defeating his opponent Saidamen Naga by 542 votes.

But following the filing of the cases and the issuance of the arrest warrants, law enforcement agencies began treating him as a wanted person.

He eventually became Marantao’s No. 1 Most Wanted Person, Lanao del Sur’s No. 3, and PRO-10’s No. 4.

PNP Chief PGEN Jose Melencio C. Nartatez Jr. stressed that public office does not shield anyone from legal accountability.

“Ang posisyon sa gobyerno ay hindi nagbibigay ng proteksyon laban sa pananagutan. Kapag may warrant of arrest, ipatutupad ito ng ating mga pulis alinsunod sa batas at tamang proseso,” Nartatez said.

The PNP chief also commended the personnel who carried out the operation, saying the arrest demonstrated the police organization’s determination to enforce court-issued warrants regardless of an individual’s position.

“This arrest demonstrates the PNP’s determination to locate wanted persons and enforce court-issued warrants regardless of their status or position. Our personnel will remain focused on bringing those sought by the courts into proper custody,” he added.

PNP: No one is above the law

The arrest supports the PNP’s Focused Agenda, particularly its priority of enhancing police operations through the focused pursuit of wanted persons.

Police said the operation also reflects the administration’s continuing push for accountability and effective law enforcement under President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.

The PNP emphasized that the arrest was carried out pursuant to court-issued warrants and established legal procedures.

Alonto is currently under the custody of Police Station 1 of the local police office for proper disposition and the continuation of the legal process.

His arrest does not constitute a finding of guilt. The murder and frustrated murder allegations will be resolved through the courts, where the prosecution will have to prove the charges beyond reasonable doubt and the accused will have the opportunity to present his defense.

For the family of the slain solo parent and the surviving victim, however, the arrest represents a significant step forward in a case that has remained unresolved since the February shooting.

The PNP said it will continue its pursuit of wanted persons and vowed to enforce court-issued warrants regardless of political position, status or influence.

“Bagong PNP para sa Bagong Pilipinas: Serbisyong Mabilis, Tapat, at Nararamdaman.”

Back to top