DAVAO CITY — A 19-year-old man died after falling from an electric post in NHA Village, Buhangin, Davao City, on Thursday, August 20, 2026, prompting authorities and the victim’s family to appeal for sensitivity and restraint in discussing the incident online.



The victim was identified as Jerico Poncales, a resident of New Corella, Davao del Norte. Police said he had climbed an electric post along Prosperity Street before falling. He was later declared dead by a doctor at around 11:30 p.m. that same night.
According to authorities, Poncales sustained severe traumatic brain injuries from the fall. His death was also confirmed by a family member through a social media post shortly after the incident.
The circumstances surrounding the incident were being treated with sensitivity as police continued to establish what led to the young man’s actions.
Police Major Narciso Potot Jr., deputy station commander of the Buhangin Police Station, said the victim had reportedly been dealing with personal difficulties after failing to secure a job he had applied for.
Barangay Buhangin official Larry Tatad likewise said the victim was reportedly not originally from Davao City and had been experiencing emotional distress following the unsuccessful job application.
Poncales had recently graduated from senior high school but reportedly did not proceed to college, amid financial and personal difficulties, according to information relayed by authorities.
Before the incident, Poncales had also posted a cryptic message on Facebook, which authorities and his family may consider as part of the circumstances surrounding the case. Police, however, cautioned against drawing conclusions about his state of mind or the reasons behind the incident without verified evidence.
Potot urged the public to exercise responsibility when posting or commenting about the case, particularly as unverified claims and insensitive remarks can further deepen the grief of the bereaved family.
The family has also appealed to social media users to stop circulating videos of the incident and to refrain from making hurtful comments or laughing at what happened.
In a heartfelt message posted online, the family asked the public to respect their privacy and emphasized that outsiders could not fully know what the young man had been going through.
The family said Poncales had left home that morning for Davao City with the intention of looking for work, making the tragedy especially painful for those who expected him to return home.
They also shared that Poncales was supposed to celebrate his birthday on August 26, just days after his death.
The family is now asking for prayers and support as they cope with the loss.
Authorities reiterated that information about the incident should be shared responsibly and only when supported by verified facts. They also reminded the public that speculation, ridicule and unverified narratives can cause additional harm to families already dealing with the loss of a loved one.
The incident remains under investigation as authorities work to establish the circumstances that preceded Poncales’ death.